TYLER, MOSES BENSON (1842 ~ 1914). Confederate veteran Moses Benson Tyler was born in Mississippi in 1842, to John Allen and Sarah Ann Hickman Tyler. By 1853, the family had moved from Pottscamp, Mississippi, to Moscow, Polk County, Texas, where John Tyler operated a blacksmith and wagon shop.
On September 25, 1861, Tyler, and his brother, Brinkley Hickman, (also buried at the Texas State Cemetery) enlisted in the Confederate Army at Livingston, Texas and mustered into service in San Antonio. They joined Company F of the 4th Texas Cavalry, Sibley's Brigade.
During the War, Sibley's Brigade took part in fifteen engagements including: Val Verde, New Mexico Territory; Glorieta Pass, New Mexico Territory; Galveston, Texas; Fort Bisland, Louisiana, and numerous others throughout Louisiana in 1863 and 1864. The unit was surrendered by General Kirby Smith on May 26, 1865.
On April 2, 1875, Moses Tyler purchased land near Cedar Creek, Bastrop County, Texas close to his brother. On February 24, 1876, Tyler was appointed Postmaster of Cedar Creek. In 1881, he sold his land to his brother and moved to Brown County, Texas.
Tyler moved to Austin to live in the Texas Confederate Men's Home on February 15, 1894 from Point Blank, San Jacinto County. Having never married, Tyler remained at the Home until he was moved to the Austin Lunatic Asylum, now called the Austin State Hospital. He was deemed mentally unstable after he killed another resident. He was moved from the Home on August 2, 1906.
Tyler was discharged from the Asylum on December 2, 1907, but was readmitted on October 15, 1912. He stayed in the Asylum until his death on January 2, 1914. He was buried at the Texas State Cemetery the same day.
Information taken from genealogy provided by Curtis Craig, Confederate Home Roster, Records from the Texas Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation, and Death Certificate # 2227.