No Portrait Available
Aug. 10, 1804
July 13, 1870
Back of headstone
of the 12th
||Section:Republic Hill, Section 1 (C1)
|Reason for Eligibility:
||Member, Texas House of Representatives
||August 10, 1801
||July 13, 1870
|CRUDUP, ROBERT (1801-1870) Robert Crudup, Chief Justice of McLennan County, Texas and member of the Texas House of Representatives, was born on August 10, 1801, in Wilson County, Tennessee to John and Rebecca (Temple) Crudup.
At age 22, he married Mary J. "Polly" Guill on June 24, 1820, in Wilson County. Together they had one child, a son, George S. Later, he married Caroline Steele Harkreader on September 28, 1835, also in Wilson County. They had four children, Josiah, John, Martha, and Permelia, who was born, circa 1851, probably in Wilson County.
From 1843 to 1845, Crudup, a teacher, served in the House of Representatives in the Tennessee General Assembly from Perry County. Prior to serving in the state legislature, Crudup was a farmer in Beardstown, where he also served as a juryman and justice of the peace.
Between 1845 and 1855, Crudup immigrated to Dryer County, Tennessee and then to Texas, where he settled in Waco, McLennan County. On December 27, 1855, he married his third wife, Almedia Olivia Barron Cunningham, the widow of William C. “Cleb” Cunningham. Together, they had five children, Rebecca Temple, Louisa, Robert, Ellen Olivia, or “Nellie,” and Thomas B. It is believed that his last five children were all born in McLennan County.
From 1868 to 1870, Crudup served as chief justice of McLennan County. Deciding not to seek reelection, Crudup, in 1869, ran for and won a seat in the Texas House of Representatives. He took his oath of office on April 26, 1870, to serve in the 12th Legislature, but died in Austin on July 13, after serving only three months in office. Since he was a member of the legislature and died while in session, he was buried in the Texas State Cemetery.
Information taken from: various genealogical databases, Biographical Directory of the Tennessee General Assembly and holdings from the Tennessee and Texas State Libraries and Archives.