LEWIS, WILLIAM (1810 ~ 1870). William Lewis, Republic of Texas veteran, was born in New York City, New York in 1810, to Joseph and Mary Lewis. At the age of 24, circa 1833, Lewis and his brother, John Edward, moved to Texas, where they joined Stephen F. Austin's fourth colony. John was issued one fourth of a league of land, which if five miles from present day La Grange, Fayette County. William, since he was not married, received no land.
Leaving their families behind, William, along with his brother, joined Texas' fight for independence. According to family records, William participated in the Siege of Bexar and San Jacinto. For his service, he received a league and a labor of land, bounty land and donation lands.
After Independence, William returned to Fayette County, and held several different positions, including: Justice of the Peace (1852), Postmaster for Cedar (1859), County Assessor (1865 - 1866), and County Judge (1870).
In 1852, William won a design competition for the new jail in La Grange. His reward was $25.00. Now, more than a century old, the jail is still standing, but is now the office for the La Grange Chamber of Commerce.
William died on December 27, 1870, and is believed to have been buried in the Lewis Cemetery, now called the Cedar Cemetery. His marker has been lost to time, so his descendant, Myrnell Lewis Pollard, had a cenotaph, or memorial marker, placed in the Texas State Cemetery next to his brother's grave.
Information provided by Myrnell Lewis Pollard.