No Portrait Available
Permanently wounded in in the
Battle of San Jacinto while serving in
Capt. William S. Fisher's Company.
Died Jan. 18, 1842
near old Cincinnati in
Walker County, Texas
Erected by the State of Texas
||Section:Republic Hill, Section 2 (C2)
|Reason for Eligibility:
||Republic of Texas Veteran
||January 18, 1842
||Reinterred November 3, 1938
|WEEDON, GEORGE (circa 1800 - 1842) George Weedon, Republic of Texas veteran, was born in Virginia, most likely Culpeper County, to Augustine and Elizabeth Farmer Weedon. Both of his grandfathers, George Weedon, for whom he was probably named, and Daniel Farmer, fought in the American Revolutionary War, thus setting an example for their grandson.
After moving to Texas in 1835, Weedon followed in his grandfathers' footsteps by joining Texas' fight for independence. He served as a member of Captain William S. Fisher's Company of Velasco Blues, which later became Company I, First Regiment of Texas Volunteers, from April 19 to June 18, 1836, and participated in the battle of San Jacinto, where he was wounded.
Because of his service to Texas, Weedon received one-third of a league of land, 1,476.13 acres, in Washington County in 1838, as well as 320 acres for having served in the Texas Army. Two years after being mustered out of the Army, Weedon received another 640 acres for fighting at San Jacinto. On August 2, 1838, he received a league of land, 4,428.4 acres, for being wounded at San Jacinto. The majority of his land holdings were in present day Walker County.
Weedon settled in Cincinnati, Texas, which was founded by James DeWitt, also a veteran of San Jacinto. Weedon passed away on January 18, 1842, and was buried on his property. According to his will, Weedon, with no mention of any family, requested that 20 acres of his land be set aside for a church, a cemetery, and a school house.
Weedon's grave was lost for a number of years after the town of Cincinnati disappeared. It was not until April 1938, that Wilbourn S. Gibbs, of Huntsville, Texas, accidentally stumbled over the grave and Weedon was once again remembered for his service to Texas. Thanks to the efforts of Louis W. Kemp, Chairman of Texas' Centennial Commission, Weedon's grave was moved from Walker County to the Texas State Cemetery on November 3, 1938.
Weedon's original headstone was sadly lost again until 1989, when it was found in an abandoned warehouse in Austin. The stone, which reads "George Weedon/ A Hero of/ San Jacinto/ Departed This Life/ Jany. 18th, 1842.," is now part of the permanent collection of the Walker County Historical Commission and can be seen in the Gibbs - Powell House Museum in Huntsville.
Information taken from biography compiled by Louis W. Kemp, the San Jacinto Monument website, http://www.sanjacinto-museum.org/kemp/v851.html, information contained in the Walker County Historical Commission Archives, and information provided by descendant, Theresa Whitmire Wilson.